Monday, May 28, 2007

Plants, flowers and other stuff

Can you say Rosa Rugosa (Salt Spray Rose)? These puppies started out as bare root plants. There are a total of 30 in the front yard. Some by the mail box. Some along one side of the yard. Some by the front side of the garage. Thirty. Can you believe it? It's pretty amazing that they even grow in this soil. Since the yard is basically brown beach sand it's hard to grow stuff. I've heard gardeners on garden shows talk about amending the soil, but that would take years and years to do around here. Maybe not. I have put compost around all of the plants. The flowers are fragrant. I hadn't taken a sniff since we started getting flowers, but yesterday I decided to take a whiff. Oh my gosh! They are beautiful


Yes the flowers are pretty amazing. But this picture shows the clump that is growing out by the mailbox. I believe that this is 5 of the plants. We are trying to create a bit of a screen to block an ugly oversize garage across the street. Might take a couple more years to block that thing. Oh well. We are starting to get some privacy screening from some of it. Finally.


The pictures don't really do justice to what we get to view each day. I know I'm going to really enjoy these little shrubs this summer. It also looks like there are enough buds yet to bloom that it will keep the flowers coming on for quite some time. Most all of the other flowers are in hanging pots. We have a few deer around here and certainly enought slugs to chew on all of the plants. Even with the hanging baskets I think deer can stand on there hind legs and get a taste of the flowers that are growing.

This hanging planter is just outside the door to the garage. It hangs a bit lower than some of the other hanging pots, but it looks nice and can be seen from the living room. That heron image on the side door to the garage is not etched glass. It is one of those stick on transfers. However it looks real enough. It was a fun idea and a fun thing to do.


Yes they are upside down tomato plants. They are doing quite well. When I first saw these I thought it was a crazy idea. However after watching them grow for a few weeks, it makes perfect sense. There is a pepper plant on the other side of the big garage door. Hey grow plants and veggies where they make sense or maybe where they don't make sense. You just never know. There were some squash plants under the tomatoe plants, but they have been attacked by slugs I think. So we are going to adopt the quaker theory. Plant enought for animals and thieves and you just might have enough left for yourself.




No comments: