Sunday, September 27, 2009

My outting to Radar Ridge

It is easy to see why this is called Radar Ridge. However, the site was originally a Radar Communication site that was built during WWII. It now is home for several cell companies, the electric company and a couple of other companies. It's about 28 miles from the house and boy what an interesting place. Want to know what I was doing up there? Well the local public utilities district is thinking about wind turbines. This is a place where they have found to be a viable place for such turbines. Problem....old growth forest are nearby and the Marbled Murrelet nest in old growth forests. Well the local Audubon wanted to take a look at the proposed site so that is how I got involved. You will be able to see in the following photos that there are no old growth trees at the Radar Ridge site. It's been logged for a long time. I think I heard 50 or 60 years. Not much left on top.
So here is some of the group that went. It's actually pretty bald on top where they are proposing the wind turbine site. A guy explained how many turbines and where they would be place and what the benefit would be. Hey I'm for alternative energy sources if they don't have adverse effects on the environment. Not quite a "tree hugger", but I probably could turn in to one pretty quick. Especially when you see all of the forest that have been clear cut.
This is looking back toward the east. You can see how much has been clear cut and what's left. I didn't want to get any closer to the edge of this hill.
This photo is south and east and you really can see large areas of clear cut here. These are mostly managed forest, but there are private logging companies mixed in with commercial loggers. Anyway this was a very educational outting. I enjoyed it very much. Makes you think about where you wood furniture pieces come from.

1 comment:

delorese king said...

Where this has been clear cut will the trees ever come back to a full forest? It is so barren looking. So are you for the wind tubines or against?