Friday, October 16, 2009

The Cranberry bogs were sooooo pretty this year

I'm not sure but I think it was the 88th Annual Cranberrian Faire. Cranberry harvest around here is a really big deal. Folks get out and tour various cranberry bogs and buy things made of or about cranberries. The bogs look so pretty when they are flooded and the berries float up. We didn't make it out early enough to catch it when the most berries were available, but still saw a good bit of berry harvesting going on. It really makes it feel like fall. Oh yeah, the weather was very decent.
This field was just flooded but the machinery had not come through to get the berries to the top.
This photo was a good shot of the equipment and the flooding. It's quite a process, isn't it?
Ocean Spray has a cold storage facility here. The local growers co-op their berries to Ocean Spray and then they are shipped from here to be sorted/made in to fresh berries or frozen or juiced up. They also make Craisins from some of them. The box below was at a roadside stand next to one of the bigger bogs. They were selling a gallon bag of berries for $5. Good stuff. Cranberries are good for you, but they can also be quite tart too.
I'm hoping to get out and get some photos of the weekly clam diggers that are here for the weekend. I probably shouldn't wait to long to post photos. I tend to forget about them.

2 comments:

Nancy L Johnson said...

Nice photos of the cranberry bogs. Amy and I saw similar when we were in Wisconsin several years ago.

lisa said...

That is pretty cool, I've never known how cranberries were harvested. Those are really neat pics.