Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Fall colors


There is just something magical about fall colors and misty hillsides and rain. It has been rainy as usual. It has also been a bit windy here along the Washington coast. I took a drive over to St. Helen's, Oregon on Monday and it was just beautiful. Coming across the coast range was pretty cool. It is an interesting drive to say the least. Oe'r hill and dale. Never believe what the trip was for. WALMART! Longview, WA is the closest Walmart and that is about 70 miles from the house. However the Lewis and Clark bridge had traffic pileup. So I drove the additional 20 miles to St. Helens. When you only go to Walmart a couple of times a year, you save up. The car was totally loaded down with "stuff". I try to shop local as much as I can, but there are just some things that are worth the drive. We do have a Fred Meyer and a Costco over in Astoria, OR, but sometimes you just gotta go to Walmart. Picture lots of laughter. I saved a bundle of $$. Anyway, I just really enjoyed the day. Hwy 30 that runs on the Oregon side of the Columbia River has some really pretty scenery. All of this got me to thinking about my little mother. She used to just love the fall. Sometimes she would ask me to come to Oklahoma in the fall, just so I could drive her to Indiana to see her sister or brother and some fall colors. I can remember driving up from Oklahoma and spending just a few hours and turning around and driving right back. What fun. Fall comes and I think how much my little mother loved the fall colors. Everything is starting to wind towards winter now, but boy was it nice to see some fall colors and think of mom. What a wonderful way to spend the day. Interesting stuff for me, but may not be so interesting to others. Enjoy whatever the seasons bring. Life is short and there is so much to enjoy in doing little things.

No comments: