Sunday, November 16, 2008

Coupon Queens extraordinairre....BOGO;s


This photo is NOT my pantry. Oh I should be so lucky to have a pantry. I've been thinking alot about how much some of my family members use coupons and shop for BOGO's. I think my sister Francie and my niece Autumn have it down to an art form. I think you have to be somewhat....heck....very organized, to make sure you buy what you actually need and are going to use. My house is very tiny and so I have to keep things in various places in order to store them. I have plastic/rubbermaid tubs in the garage where I store my long term items. For example rice, flour, red lentils and various other staples. I do have to go to the garage to get items. You have to move, use and replace. You don't want things to go bad. My sister sent me a source to a web blog that talked about various storage options. I'm trying to keep my storage filled up and replace as needed, but also look for bargains. Using coupons around here is really hard to do. However, I did get some coupons from Fred Meyers the other day that I will be able to use on my next shopping trip. Actually that will be tomorrow. Anyway, the coupons total $13.50 that I can use. At least it is something. Because we are so rural here our local papers don't carry much in the way of coupons. Our newspaper only comes out once a week(Wednesdays). There are some disadvantages to being so far removed from a big city. I do most of my shopping in Astoria, OR, but it is not really big. They do have a Safeway, a Fred Meyer, and a Costco. Over in Warrenton, OR they just put in a Home Depot. It is a 56+ mile round trip on shopping day. There are some things about being close to a big city that I think might be a bit better. I do try to combine the shopping with other things. Like tomorrow I have a doctors appointment in Astoria and will shop after. I remember times past when I could get the Sunday paper and get lots of good coupons. Not that I used them when I was in the big city. I've tried printing some coupons off the internet in the past, but did not have good luck with that. There are some stores that won't take computer generated coupons. They only want manufactures coupons. Doing coupons takes a bit of effort, organization, and maybe I've just not found the right thing. Of course when you eat mostly vegan foods, lots of fresh veggies, they don't really make coupons to fit that niche. I haven't seen a coupon for a 25 pounds bag of potatoes. Nor have I seen one for cauliflower or broccoli. LOL. I really like that some of my family members look for the big bargains and the BOGO's. I've seen where they spend pennies for items or even get free items. I'll be looking for the bargains tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand about being in a rural area. I miss big city life a lot! Our paper comes out once a week too. I sometimes get my friend's coupons from her paper, but then I forget to use them! We do have a Wal Mart here and I do most of my shopping there and buy the great value brand.

delorese king said...

Okay I am coupon stupid and what does BOGO mean? I did go to the commisary the other day and they had a ready there coupon for tomato sauce it was .50 a can and the coupon was buy one get one free.