Sunday, January 17, 2010

We're expecting high surf

They have issued high surf warnings and high wind warnings for today. I read this thing on the emergency management site for the county that was asking folks to stay away from the high surf. So as I'm coming back from the local market I see carloads of folks driving to the beach approaches. Tell folks they shouldn't and they go see why. Too funny. I do wish for everyone to be safe. But I mean, just don't go out there and put yourself in jeopardy. Right? It is kind of cool to view the ocean when it is very active (rough). There are some cliffs down at the south end of the peninsula at Cape Disappointment where the waves really crash upon the rocks. They will probably have warnings for ships trying to enter the Columbia River. They call it "crossing the bar". There is a big ol' humongous sand bar at the entrance to the river and it can be very dangerous. They sometimes have to do Coast Guard rescues for some of the smaller ships when it gets like this. There are a lot of shipwrecks that have happened here along the coast. Most happened in the 1800's, but some have occured at late as the mid 1990's. Down at Ft. Stevens in Oregon you can walk out and see one shipwreck (the Peter Iredale) that has been around for a long time. You can look up the details on the internet if you're interested. I don't know why shipwrecks are on my mind right now. Hmmmmm!

4 comments:

Nancy L Johnson said...

Neat picture of the rocks and the high surf.

Did you take the picture and if so how far away from the water when you did so?

There is a hymn in our song book Praise for the Lord called "Crossing the Bar" written by Alfred Tennyson,1889. Lloyd O. Sanderson composed it in 1935.
When you mentioned "crossing the bar" I thought of this song in our book.

delorese king said...

What like the Andrea Doria and stuff like that?

Mary said...

I did not take this photo, but I do have some of the waves crashing at Cape D. The wind did not materialize by 7pm. But still could happen during the night.

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Escape Slow Downloads Using NZB Downloads You Can Quickly Search Movies, Console Games, Music, Software and Download Them @ Flying Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Usenet[/B][/URL]