Sunday, December 6, 2009

New portable generator is installed....whew!

Well yesterday was interesting. We drove and got the new portable generator. It's a 7000 watt portable generator. I had several options I wanted. It had to be easy to start so electric. It had to have wheels so I could move it. I didn't want a used one. We got it unloaded from my friend Chris and Bills van and on to the garage floor. Step 2. Step 1 was getting it purchased. That's a whole 'nother story.
Bill brought down loads of tools and pieces parts for the install. I had no idea what this project was going to take, but as it progressed I was totally amazed.
Chris (former contractor) was excited about cutting holes in the sheet rock, figuring out where the transfer box was going to go and just in all around good spirits. She was in her element working with her husband Bill.
This little house was built in the mid 70's. So I wasn't sure what Bill was going to find. But he was very diligent about the work. He got it all wired up and discovered some of it was not quite right, but fixed it quickly. His line of electrical work right now is doing ship to shore power for cruise lines, but he said he was really enjoying this project. This kind of stuff makes me nervous.
The work continued until late afternoon. We simulated a power outage so I could go through the steps to get us up and running. We have enough breakers to run the fridge, lights, TV, computers, microwave, and not put much drain on the generator. Yeah. I'm so excited about having this equipment. I am so thankful to Chris and Bill for coming down and helping us with this. That kind of friendship is priceless.

3 comments:

Nancy L Johnson said...

Nice to have Chris and Bill to help you get the generator up and running.

Bring on the power outage and let the generator shine or maybe I should say hum :0)

Mary said...

These friends are priceless. I am so thankful for the wonderful work they did. Let the storms come. Nothing like being ready now. Yeah baby.

delorese king said...

LOve it! I am so happy for you. Now you can say Come on down! bad weather.