Saturday, October 24, 2009

It's still all about the birds....

Was going to take some of my tapper friends over to the beach and show them how to rescue birds. But got a call about the need to transport over to the Wildlife Rescue Center. So we organized a small caravan and loaded up some more birds and headed over to Oregon. For me this was the second trip. This containers really are quite large. That actually is a damp flannel sheet covering one of the cages. These are Pacific Loons. This cage really wasn't that good for transport, but we managed. The Loons were really noisy when we first started out, but they settled down after a bit. We loaded up more cases in right behind the front seat. I wanted to get at least some photos this time, since I missed taking my camera last time.
The photo below is me and one of the tapper ladies. This is Debbie. Between the vehicles that caravaned over we probably totted about 50 birds. This was my second trip over with a load. They have reported that about 600 birds have been rescued.
This is the wildlife rescue hospital. It is located pretty close to Olney, OR. That is east of Astoria, OR. The center is really filled to capacity. They now are in need of funds to feed all of the birds that have been brought to the center. I think I will focus my effort to try and raise funds here locally to help out. Don't know how that will go, but I'm willing to give it a go.
It's been an interesting week to say the least. I got a call on Tuesday morning. Went and counted dead birds on Wedsnesday. Took about 30 birds to the center on Thursday. And now on Saturday, participated in the transport again. Whew!!!!!! What a week.

2 comments:

Nancy L Johnson said...

Busy bird lady, you are!! Do they know what caused the stress for the birds?

delorese king said...

Mary it people like you who are willing to get involved with projects like this to extend the future of wildlife, I laud you for your commitment, keep up the good work!