Not many photos today. I just haven't had time. I took 9 boxes of birds over to the Wildlife Rescue Center of the North Coast in Oregon yesterday. I had a little over $50 buck in my back pocket so I dropped that off too. There were 30 birds in the boxes. And that was just one load. I was driving along thinking my load was very secure, but out pops a Pacific Loon. It decided to come up to the front seat and help me drive. I had to pull over for sure. Loons are very territorial and feisty. I had to open up the passenger door, it dropped down to the pavement. I then put on my leather gloves and captured the bird. I then went around to the back of the car and put the bird back in the box. I only had duct tape in the car, but I was able to make the container more secure and leave some breathing room for the bird. WOW oh WOW! Some exciting stuff, eh? I had to clean out the car really good when I got home. There are now about 500 birds at the rescue center and of course the resources and space are being taxed to the limit. It was really dishearting to see so many birds in distress. I guess I really am now officially the bird lady of Klipsan Beach. I'm amazed by what I've been able to do. Measuring, identifying, labeling dead birds. I did not think I would ever be able to do that. My new favorite bird is the Common Murre. They are kind of social when you see lots of them together. I hope most of the birds can be re-habed and put back in the wild. Time will tell.
1 comment:
Is this picture of a loon? D.
Post a Comment