Thursday, July 8, 2010

I'm hiking again.

My ladies hiking group did a wonderful little hike. We hiked from a place called MacKenzie Head then went over to North Head Lighthouse. This little hike had quite a few ups and downs along the trail. Some of the trail was kind of rough, but parts were very well maintained with wooden walk ways across some little creeks. There were a few places where you could see the ocean, but because it was light fog the photo opportunities were not that great.
This trail marker shows the Cape Disappointment area as it probably looked when Lewis and Clark were in the area and the red line on the map on the right is what we walked. We started out at about 10 feet above sea level and walked up to about 100 feet above sea level. However it was lots of ups and downs over the course of the trail. The trail is only 1.8 miles long but parts of it are very steep.I thought this tree was very interesting. Most of the trees in the forest are spruce trees. I heard lots of birds but didn't see that many. All in all - short walk but very very interesting. I got new trekking poles and though most of the ladies just walk with one pole I was glad to have two. They came in very handy stepping over huge roots along the trail. Yep, short hike, but most excellent.

2 comments:

delorese king said...

I love the picture of the old craggy tree. Looks like all had a wonderful and healthy time of it. Wish I could be there to join you!

delorese king said...

love the craggy looking tree. Looks like all enjoyed being out in the woods. Glad you are enjoying your new treking poles too.