Sunday, August 23, 2009

Life's good, I mean life's really really good...

I belong to this really wonderful group. It's called Friend of Willapa National Wildlife Refuge. These folks are active in doing things to preserve and protect the beautiful Willapa Bay that is on the east side of the Long Beach Peninsula. Sounds great, huh? Well they put on a really big BBQ on Saturday. The BBQ was held on this place called Long Island. It is a beautiful island that you can only get to by some kind of boat. Well they arranged for a barge to take about 100 folks over to the island for a hike through an old growth forest and then a walk of about 2 miles to the BBQ. So I took about 40 photos and will post some of the old growth forest later. Here we are lining up to take the barge over to the island.

The lemmings waiting for everyone to load up for the trek to the west side of the island. This photo was taken on the east side across the street from the Wildlife Refuge center. Yes I have photos of that too. I'll save those for another post too.
So this was taken from the barge as we are heading to a place called Smokey Hollow campground. The water was a bit choppy and folks sitting at the front of the barge got a bit wet, but it was a really nice day so it was not bad.
I should have cropped this photo, but this is everyone unloading at the start point for the first part of the hike.
On this old forest service road there is still a lot of the evidence of the old logging roads and most of the walk was on this, except for the hike through the old growth forest cedar grove.

This one was looking at the BBQ site coming off the 2 mile portion of the hike. I believe the total for the hike was listed as 3.75 miles. There were a couple of steep climbs on the logging roads, but very doable. I could feel that I did a very good walk at the end of it and was totally whooped when I got home.
Yep, that was me getting ready to come back across. They made everyone wear a PFD. Just love the way it adds some poundage. LOL
Oh, I thought this was kind of funny. They had set up these tables and the tide was coming in and the ground below the tables was starting to get soggy right at the end. They packed things up in a hurry and got everything off the island. They also barged several pickup trucks over and had to barge those back too. The BBQ was seafood/bay accented. We had salmon, clam chowder, and things like that. I did eat a piece of blackened salmon, but it's not my favorite. I took some gorp with me, so I did have other stuff to eat. I kind of put my own gorp together. It had cherrios, almonds, raisins, coconut, dried mango, dried pineapple, dried bananas and a few other goodies. So I didn't starve. Yep, life is really really good.

1 comment:

delorese king said...

Love the pictures of the tress and the water in the background so pretty, Looks like you had a hugh crowd too. Every time I see pictures of that area it make me homesick and I do not even live there!...