Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Winter Weather...it's totally amazing


We are camped out at the La Quinta Inn in Vancouver, Wa. Here is the series of events that led us here. Believe it or not there was snow at the beach on Saturday. It melted pretty quick. Then the winds started howling. They howled for 2 days. Trees were falling over, power was knocked out, cable was knocked out, and the lines at the local markets were out the door. We made the decision to leave Tuesday morning. Normally it is a 2 hour drive here to Vancouver. It took us over 4 hours. We came across on Hwy 30 on the Oregon side of the river and then I-5 north to Vancouver. They probably will not have power to the peninsula for about 4-5 days I'm thinking. The news coming in and out of our area is non-exsistent. Plenty of news on the Oregon side of the river and plenty of news to the east and north of us, but nothing about that little strip of land. On Monday cars could not get off the peninsula because of so many downed trees. But we finally made it out. When we came through Westport, OR there were long lines at a gas station. We stopped for gas in Clatskanie, but they would only take cash. Everyone had the gas prices jacked up. In Seaside, OR they were selling gas at $5 a gallon. Can you say price gouging? It was kind of good to get here to Vancouver and watch a little TV and have a hot meal and a bath. I'm anxious to get home, but I think we will stay here at least until Friday morning. Talk to all later.

1 comment:

Francie said...

Mary,

I hope you read your blog but I'll try to send an e-mail. Glad to hear you made it out of the bad weather. And they say Oklahoma has bad weather?? Perhaps not :) Travel safe back to your little pennisula.